On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Steve Litt wrote:

In my personal opinion, one would have to have rocks in their head to use
LyX for a 5 or 10 page document. In the time it takes to figure out how to
change one style (Environment) in LyX, you could have completed the whole
task in MS Word, WordPerfect or OpenOffice.

  Perhaps your opinion is based on your practice of self-publishing books.
Take a look at my web site (follow either the What's New or Publication
links) and you'll see a bunch of 5-10 page articles written in LyX.

  Not only was it quicker and easier to write them with LyX, but the pdf
output cannot be matched by OpenOffice.org's writer, AbiWord, or any other
word processor.

  So, whiile I might have rocks accompanying the extra holes in my head, my
use of the application is obviously vastly different from yours, so our
opinions of the type of writing for which LyX is best suited also greatly
differ.

  Other than the occasional, odd-ball need, I use the standard environments
just as the LyX/LaTeX authors designed them. I suspect from your posts that
what you really need is a personalized TeX macro system (neither LaTeX nor
ConTeX) and your own GUI interface to it.

  Given the apparent original post (which I did not read), I run LyX on my
7-year-old Toshiba Portege 3025-CT. It has a 300MHz Pentium-MMX processor,
96M RAM (the maximum allowed), and a 6G hard drive. So, LyX would be ideal
for someone writing a thesis. However, you are correct when you note that
comparing LyX/LaTeX to Microsoft's Word is an invalid comparison. They're two
completely different applications.

Rich