On 7 Jul, 2006, at 4:33 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006, Stefano Franchi wrote:

I am trying to set up a multi-page, fixed width column table, but my
attempts seem to be blissfully ignored by LyX.  That is, I select the
table, go into the pop-up dialog and enter a value in the 'width' field. I did this for all the columns in my table. But nothing happens---as soon as I go into a cell and add content, the cell is horizontally resized. I am following the exact procedure described in the user's guide, and I would expect the cell to grow vertically, not horizontally. Can anyone enlighten
me on the correct steps to follow? I tried both LyX 1.3 and 1.4, with
identical results. I am on a Mac, BTW.

  Well, you're allowed to use an Apple product.

  I have tables in my book similar to what you're trying to create. By
trial-and-error I discovered that I needed to manually break the cell
content into multiple lines; there is no automagic line wrap. Sometimes I also dropped the font one size; that made the typeset table look better.

Thanks Rich, that would take car of part of the problem. But how do you break a line in a cell? neither a common return nor a linebreak seem to work.

Leaving aside the problem of line-wrapping, how did you manage to fix the width of the columns in your tables?

Stefano

HTH,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | The Environmental Permitting
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com> Voice: 503-667-4517 Fax: 503-667-8863

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy                  Ph:  (64)  9 373-7599 x83940
University Of Auckland                  Fax: (64) 9 373-8768
Private Bag 92019                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Auckland
New Zealand