Paul A. Rubin wrote:

I finally got around to trying this on my home PC, which runs XP Home rather than XP Pro. Under XP Home, alt-F4 did *not* kill cmd.exe. On my laptop (XP Pro), it does. I haven't had a chance to try the XP Pro machine in my office (as I'm assiduously avoiding going anywhere near the office).

My luck ran out and I ended up at the office. It turns out that alt-F4 does not kill either LyX or cmd.exe here (XP Pro). So my XP Pro laptop, where it does work, is apparently the outlier, although I have no explanation for why it works there.

/Paul