On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:55:28 -0400
 "Gerard A. Ateshian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to run both LyX 1.4.2 (just compiled it) and 1.3.7 on my Mac (Powerbook G4, OS X 10.4.7). I would like to be able to start either version by simply clicking on the corresponding icon on my desktop. However, when I do that, LyX always sets the user directory to ~/Library/Application Support/LyX, even if my .login shell has set LYX_USERDIR_13x to something else, like ~/Library/Application Support/ LyX-1.3. The same thing happens with LyX 1.4.2 and LYX_USERDIR_14x.

The only way I can get LyX to start with the desired user directory is by opening a terminal shell and running LyX as a shell command (either with -userdir or by defining the environmental variables). Is there a simple way around this problem, where I can start either version with its correct user directory using a single click?

(I have found a workaround using the Automator utility in Mac OS X, which creates a 'workflow' application that runs a shell script. The problem is that during the entire time that LyX is running, there is an annoying 'Workflow Running' message with a rotating scroll appearing on the menu bar).

Any help would be appreciated.

The problem is that you did not set --with-version-suffix=-1.4 when you compiled LyX; this will produce a user dir of LyX-1.4, appropriately located in your ~/Library/Application Support/ folder (on Mac). You can either reconfigure and recompile LyX (which wouldn't take long) or you can wait for my LyX/Mac installer, which (hopefully!) will be out today. [I've been away and came back to a crashed hard drive, so it's taking me a while before I can even start producing it.]

Bennett