On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:26:48 -0400
"Paul A. Rubin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Myriam Abramson wrote:
> > The Framesubtitle feature of
> > beamer.layout does not seem to exist on Windows though. That's odd.
>
> Should it?  (Meaning, does it exist as an environment in Linux?)  You
> can enter a frame subtitle by putting \framesubtitle{blah blah blah} in
> ERT as the first thing in the frame title.
>
> /Paul

beamer does exist in Linux and in Debian is packaged as latex-beamer.
The package inserts the beamer.layout where lyx expects to see it, into
/usr/share/lyx/layouts/
Yesterday I compiled Lyx1.4.2 and installed into a different directory
(/usr/local/share/lyx1.4.2) and found I couldn't load the beamer document class.
The beamer.layout was not where lyx1.4.2 could find it, in this case
/usr/local/share/lyx1.4.2/layouts.
Although Tools > TeX information could see it, I still could not get a beamer
document class via Document > Settings > Document Class.
Checking the source tarball for beamer.layout, it was absent from the source
directory for layouts which is lyx1.4.2/lib/layouts.
I concluded beamer.layout does not come with the Lyx1.4.2 source, so I copied
beamer.layout to the new directory and after "reconfigure" it worked!

HTH

- Russell