Hi all...

Solved! I'm still not sure of the why, but, in my case, the solution was
simple: I ran 'qtconfig' and changed the 'theme' (in my case to
'platinum'). All works as advertised now. Don't ask me why. The reason I
went there was:

1) I visited trolltech.com, and looked up the QDropDown widget. There I
found that there were different styles according to the Motif 1/2,
Windows, etc versions... The button I had was the Motif 1 version, so I
was a little concerned about being outdated. I never found out how to
determine which version I have...

2) I ran 'qtconfig' and found that the style of the buttons can easily be
changed there. So I changed it, and, presto, it worked.

I'd love to hear an explanation...

John