Rich Shepard wrote:
> Years ago, I started working my way through the font installation guide
> (trying to take advantage of the NFSS), but gave up about half-way through.
> Has it become easier in the past few years to add a new font family to
> TeX/LaTeX/LyX? Specifically, I want to add the Baker Signet typeface (which
> I installed as both Type1 and TTF those same years ago when I bought the
> Bitstream font collection).

If you're lucky, someone already did the implementation. My first place is
always the (German) page from Walter Schmidt, the PSNFSS maintainer, who
provides packages for a range of common commercial fonts, and the quality of
the metrics is very good:
http://home.vr-web.de/was/fonts.html

Unfortunately, Baker Signet is not included. If you have to implement them
yourself, here are some pointers:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=instt1font
ftp://cam.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/Type1fonts/fontinstallationguide/fontinstallationguide.pdf

Hope this helps,
Jürgen