On Jul 29, 2006, at 9:09 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:

LB wrote:
When you added the GS path in lyx.bat, did you add the path to the lib
directory as well as to the bin directory?
Yes I did.
I'm giving up and going back to use version 1.4.1.
Well, I can't say I blame you ... 1.4.1 worked pretty well for me. I just hope this problem does not recur when we get to 1.5 and there is
some "must have" new feature.
BTW, I generated another figure with Matlab that has the same problem. It looks like when I generate figures with Matlab I run into trouble with previewing figure with 1.4.2 but not with any other versions. I have tried
1.4.1, 1.3.7 and 1.3.5.
Cheers
Leo

I didn't have any bright ideas. But since it seems you are close
to giving up, I thought I would toss out some longshots.

" PROGRA~1\MENTOR~1\PADS\2005_1\Programs;c:\lyx\ly "
(from 7/28/2006  12:03 pm, PATH report)

SH: Maybe that is a typo the "ly" looks wrong.

As Jose mentions, upgrading Ghostscript might help,
because version 7.07 had a bug with paths with spaces.

A very longshot is that the local LyX Python is buggy
with utf8 support but those files don't cure it. Do
you have the full Python installed? If so put it at
the front of Path_prefix statement in LyX and it will
supersede the local partial version of Python. Vaguely,
the locale might connect to the set commands. I said
it was a longshot. The set command used to say
set lang=en_US if one used English. I couldn't find
info on what LC does...

Anyway replacing GS is a good idea, and if you already
have the full Python, it is easy to *_prepend_*
C:\Python243 to the LyX Path_prefix and have a fully
functioning Python, since the extent of the local
Python, mostly successful, may have other gaps. I've
had a problem with set environmental variables once
before. Another departed version of *tex had left
its value behind and conflicted with the new version
which wanted to set the same variable to a new place.
(Cygwin and TexLive2005). Well, that was just rambling.

Hi,
one more idea: if this is really a PATH problem and things worked normally under lyx 1.4.1, then I would do the following simple steps (unless you already tried this and I didn't see it in the earlier messages):
(a)
Revert to LyX 1.4.1 and open the Preferences dialog to find out EXACTLY what your PATH setting is in that program.
(b)
Copy that string.
(c)
Re-install LyX 1.4.2 and open the Prefs dialog there to see its PATH settings. I would strongly suspect that this is somehow different from 1.4.1.
(d)
Enter the previously copied PATH from 1.4.1 into the PATH box in 1.4.2.
(e)
Restart LyX 1.4.2 (just to be safe), and see if the preview works now.

Hope that helps,
Jens