> Right after I installed lyx, it spent a lot of time downloading stuff.

Lyx is checking for some classes, miktex does not have them so it
installs them automatically. 1.4.3 will give you more prompt
information, but this process will take the same long time.

Windows being Windows, the most I'm willing to say is that LyX typically
installs properly in C:\Program Files (but your actual mileage, if you
get any, may vary).

:-)

If you clean out an detritus and try another install under C:\Program
Files, it might fly this time.  If not, try opening a command prompt in
the LyX bin directory and run lyx.bat from there.  That way, if it spits
up an error message, you'll have a chance to see it without the window
closing on you.

This is what I would suggest.

Bo