>>Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:23:45 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: Rich Shepard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
>>Subject: Re: Flow Chart Drawing For LaTeX/LyX
>>
>>On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Jean-Pierre Chretien wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO, it's a pity to export to bitmap diagrams which have such a strong
>>> vectorial nature. The UML diagrams which are in the xfig library do not
>>> fit your needs ? In addition, the xfig inset in lyx works great.
>>
>>Jean-Pierre,
>>
>>   It has been at least six years since I looked at xfig.

The looks are the same, but it improved a lot, specially about the combined
export (pdf available)
and the libraries.
And the combined export solves one of the main drawbacks, that is to insert
type3 fonts in the
document through the selected fonts in xfig: the textual part of the document
can be written
with the document fonts, not the LyX fonts (and latex math is understood).
For example, if I select the component/interface diagram of the UML library
and select the special flag for the "Component" word, it will be exported as
 \begin{picture}(3948,1111)(3205,-4837)
\put(3926,-4353){\makebox(0,0)[lb]{\smash{{\SetFigFont{12}{14.4}{\sfdefault}{\mddefault}
{\updefault}{\color[rgb]{0,0,0}Component}%
}}}}
\end{picture}%
As you may see, it uses document defaults,  the size, family, series, and shape
only being extracted from
the font selected in xfig.

>>Then I found the
>>learning curve steep and used Gri instead. However, I agree that UML
>>diagrams should remain vector format. Do I have issues mixing graphic
>>formats (e.g., png and eps) in the same document?

Not in LyX, due to the great work of the developers to make graphic conversions
transparent, so that compilation with latex or pdflatex is equivalent.

But in fact eps belongs to latex and png to pdflatex, and it's
an exclusive or.

Personnally, I compile in latex when there are a lot of figures,
because dvi does not load the figures (latex needs only the bounding box)
and is thus faster, I compile with pdflatex when there are many
screenshots.

Regards

--
Jean-Pierre