I need some of the entries in my general index to appear in italics, for example the name of newspapers. I use madeindex. I can achieve this by tagging my entries with the following ERT:

\index{general}{Times, [EMAIL PROTECTED], The}}

(if I use just \index{general}{\emph{Times, The}} then the entry is not in alphabetical order)

Now, I have the following problem. The entry appears twice in the index.

It appears for the first time giving the page numbers of where the entry is in footnotes.

Then it appears a second time giving the page numbers where the entry is in the main body of the text.

Is there any way that I can convince it to adopt an all-in-one approach?