On Aug 8, 2006, at 6:24 PM, Enrico Forestieri wrote:

Jens Noeckel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hi again,

I'm stumbling upon inset-related problems in LyX 1.4.2 a lot, it
seems. Here is another one: take a math inset that's a few
environments deep, like e.g. a vector which consists of an array
inside a left-right bracket combination. If I have one such vector in
a large document, say as a displayed equation, and then scroll until
that equation is at the very top of the screen, then the mouse can
get trapped inside the math inset.  As usual, this is something that
didn't happen in LyX 1.3.6.

This is a known problem:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.devel/61384/focus=61421

When a displayed math inset is at the top or the bottom, you cannot go
past it using the cursor. I think this is a side effect of an optimization
aimed at improving movement in a math inset.

Thanks, this is definitely the same problem I see. That whole thread is quite interesting: although it refers to LyX/qt4, it reflects quite well the overall user experience I have with LyX-1.4.2 with qt3 so far. Cursor navigation by keyboard is far less fluid than in LyX 1.3.x (and mouse scrolling using the scrollbar is so weird on my Mac that I don't even bother with it at all). Getting stuck with the cursor while trying to do some simple scrolling with the arrow key is just a very unnatural thing that shouldn't happen, I think. Of course one can get used to it, but it's got a clunky feel to it.

I just discovered one more thing that I find strange about LyX 1.4.2 - I'll explore this some more, but my initial impression is not favorable: when exporting to LaTeX, we now have the choice of plain versus pdflatex-versions. In both cases, LyX tries to be too clever for its own good - this rings warning bells, because it's one of the reasons why I don't use MS Word:

(a)
When you do the plain export with a LyX document designed for pdflatex, LyX quietly (without warning!) goes through the graphics in my document and creates EPS versions of them, if they were in a format that pdflatex understands but latex doesn't. Fortunately it warns you if a pre-existing EPS file is about to be overwritten in the process (and of course that means the user has to watch the export process carefully and constantly answer warning dialogs). When I choose Export > "plain LaTeX" I don't want LyX to export tons of EPS files in the process - that's not very "plain" to me.

(b)
The other way around, when choosing pdflatex export, LyX doesn't leave my graphics includes alone either! In that case, it silently (again without warning!) strips off all the graphics file suffixes. When I have multiple formats of a figure that are all suitable for pdflatex, I want to be sure that the format I specify in the suffix gets chosen. LyX doesn't seem to grant me that freedom any more.

Given that all this was not an issue in LyX 1.3.x, I would be very much in favor if one could at least turn these "features" off. Maybe there's a way and I just haven't found it yet...

Jens