[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

However, what if the "search page" contained additional links and forms that let you search more than just the wiki? How about searching this mailing list? Or searching Herbert's tips and tricks on LaTeX?

Good idea. I've got all these bookmarked, but I think a number of people don't know what resources there are. If we're going to put possible search venues on the wiki, being able to access them from the wiki makes sense.

My idea is simply that if you can't find what you're looking for on the wiki, you want to search for the information elsewhere. So why not make this easier. A very easy way to improve the situation is to simply add links to the "search page", e.g. something saying:

    "Click here to go and search the users' list"

Any of us can edit the "search page" to add links. Just edit this page

    http://wiki.lyx.org/Site/Search

All this requires is that we now the URI of the page to go to in order to search. This is where I need help. I'd like to know of useful places to go to in order to search for information related to LyX, e.g. how do we search the archives of the users' list? How do we search Herbert's Tips and Tricks?

You don't even have to e-mail me this information. I just created this page

    http://wiki.lyx.org/Site/SearchExternally

so feel free to go there and add the links. I'll take care of it from there.

Ah, but e-mailing the list is so much less work (for me).  :-)

However, we can probably do better than just a link to some other site. Given a "search URI" and its format, i.e. how the search parameters map to the URI, I can easily create a form that allows the user to submit the actual search from the wiki page.

An example is a google search for 'lyx', 'clever' and 'ideas':

    http://www.google.com/search?q=lyx+clever+ideas

So if I have the URI that's needed in order to search for instance the mail archive for the words "idea" and "clever", it should be easy for me to modify the search page so that this is possible.

What I don't know is how this URI should look, and how the search terms should be inserted. I'd like some help with that.

That looks good for Google, with the addition that you might want to allow quoted phrases (lyx and "clever ideas" becomes lyx+%22clever+ideas%22 in googlish). For the mailing list, the GMANE server URI would look like

http://search.gmane.org/?query=lyx+clever+idea&group=gmane.editors.lyx.general

(changing 'general' to 'devel' for the developer mailing list).

This can possibly be taken even a step further, by taking the result of the external search and showing it inside the wiki page. Opinions on if this is actually useful or not are most welcome.

I would be inclined to display the result in a child window. That way, the user isn't bumped off the wiki. On the other hand, for people using tabbed browsers (which I do), it might be better just to use a regular HREF link. I'm not sure whether ctrl-click on a link with a child target opens a new tab or not. (Some portion of my brain knows this, but it's currently on strike.)

/Paul