Michael wrote:
I'd like the complete package of the MikTex 2.5 to be installed. Is there
such an installer on Windows?

If not, I may have to install the complete package separately.

How do I make the paths in LyX pointed to the new MikTex 2.5 non-default
paths easily?

When I "new from template" in LyX 1.4.2, it always says missing some class,
etc. I believe this is because the LyX does not automatically recognize the
paths of non-default MikTex 2.5 paths.

On 8/13/06, Uwe Stöhr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Michael schrieb:

> I first installed the LyX 1.4.2 bundle with all its components including
> the
> MikTex. It installed into all default directories.
>
> Now I am going to install another Latex bundle which includes a complete
> package of MikTex and the WinEdt software.
> I am worried about the existence of two MikTex in my system...

The official LyXWin 1.4.2 installer comes with a basic installation of
MiKTeX 2.4 that only contains absolutely needed packages. Missing
packages are installed automatically on the fly via the internet if the
are needed.

I don't know what version of MiKTeX you've installed when you installed
WinEdt?

To assure that you only have one most recent MiKTeX installed I
recommend to uninstall both MiKTeX-versions and the new MiKTeX 2.5 using
this installer:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/miktex/basic-miktex-2.5.2412.exe

This is a basic-version.

Btw.: Why do yo need WinEdt when you have LyX?

Btw. 2: There is a LyXWin installer that comes with MiKTeX 2.5 and LyX
1.4.2:

http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/LyXWinInstaller

regards Uwe

This is how is used to be done before the installers
did so much for windows users. A user would download
all of the needed/wanted LyX helper apps and install
them (which ones are mentioned on the LyX Wiki) before
he installed LyX which makes a smaller Lyx installer.
That is the difference between between the small and
complete installers; a user selects the small when he
has already acquired the helper apps. (maybe network)

So one goes to www.miktex.org for instance and
downloads the setup program. You can choose to
make a complete (which is nearly complete) download
of the packages (.cab) to a local directory, I use
C:\MiktexFiles. Then one runs setup again and can
choose a complete install, the cab files are unpacked
and put in the correct directories, and usually put
in c:\program files\miktex 2.5 by default.

Of course you could zip the content of C:\MitexFiles
and put it on a cd or just copy the cab files to the
cd for later installation from the cd. Remember setup.
For the rare customer who want LyX/Miktex installed
I have one Miktex cd and another one with the helper
apps, plus any tutorials/books I might have on LyX or
Latex and a few different platforms & versions of LyX.
Not everybody has a computer dvd.

I think there has already been seven updates to MikTex
2.5. and more will come out after a cd has been burned.
Without an internet connection (which I do use) a user
would have to collect the updates that come out later
and put them on a supplemental cd. Actually, I'm not
sure how to get the updates separately for a later cd.
news.gmane.org g.c.t.miktex is dedicated to that kind
of Windows Latex whereas LyX uses Linux/Mac Tetex too.

So you can take the internet connection out of the loop
by having the helper apps installed first... I'm not
sure whether aspell will require a connection even if
you already have aspell installed (from the Lyx wiki).
Probably not. If you are a new user, have plenty of
disk space and a set dsl monthly charge the reasons
given for choosing a basic install and then add
packages on the fly as needed, make little sense to
me for US users who generally have rather stable dsl.
One can start the lengthy install and go have lunch
without taking away from productive time.

WinEdt and LyX can share the same Miktex installation,
LyX can be pointed to it with Tools->Preferences->
Path_prefix. But, I am not aware that WinEdt has been
upgraded to automatically find/work the new Miktex2.5.
Such is not an area of expertise for the LyX User list.

mot juste,

cyberdiction