Jean-Pierre Chretien wrote:
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:25:13 +0200
From: "Amir Navot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: lyx-announce@lists.lyx.org
Subject: Problem to download english dictionary during instalation of LyX1.4.2
on Windows XP

During the installation of LyX1.4.2 (Wiki) on Windows XP, I get the
following message:
"Failed to download the English spell checker dictionary. Would you like to
try again? (connecting to host)"
retry doesn't work as well.
When trying to run spell checker I am getting the message: "Spellchecker
could not be started. No word list can be found for the language en_US".

I took the liberty to answer to lyx-users, lyx-announce does not seem
appropriate here.

I have the same problem (maybe the download site changed and the installer is
not up to date ?).
Anyway you may download the dictionaries from here
http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Aspell6
and install manually.

I have Aspell installed in C:\Aspell. LyX1.4.1 works with no problems.

This is suprising, as lyx-1.4.1 and lyx-1.4.2 sould share the same Aspell6
dictionaries ?

That was my thought too, but I had LyX 1.4.1 working with both English and German dictionaries, and when I installed 1.4.2 it would not spell-check German on my laptop and would not even spell-check English on my home PC. The solution on both machines was to reinstall the "data files" from the wiki. Reinstalling the dictionaries themselves did not seem to be necessary, at least on the PC (I did it on the laptop without stopping to check whether it was necessary).

/Paul