On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:44:20 +0200
Helge Hafting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
> >> In preparation for the class, I plan to post a separate
> >> questionnaire to the lyx-users and lyx-devel lists.
> >> I welcome any comments about this.  Again, my intent is to
> >> have this be a contribution to the lyx project.
> >>

> > I am currently working with a colleague on a book chapter using lyx, me on
> > linux platform, he on microsoft. There are some problems on his side (e.g.
> > exporting to pdf) with which I canĀ“t help him.
> >
> > I think, it would be very helpful in such and similar cases to have a linux
> > livesystem on CD which contains all the necessary programs needed for
> > writing
> > documents with lyx such as tex stuff, spellchecker, vector and pixel
> > oriented
> > graphics (xfig, PyX, PStricks..), chemical formulas, bibtex related things
> > such as JabRef or Pybliographer, presentations (beamer..). There is a nice
> > book by Rainer Hattenhauer (2005), Linux-Livesysteme (published by Galileo
> > Computing) - alas in German (perhaps translated in the meantime?) which
> > gives
> > detailed instructions and could serve as a basis.
> >
> > One could just insert this CD in the computer, start the system, work with
> > it,
> > save the produced documents on the computer, and thats it. I think this
> > would
> > be a nice project also for your students ...
> >
> A LyX liveCD would be nice, sure.  Be aware that linux doesn't
> write very well to NTFS filesystems though - so it may be necessary
> to save on FAT/FAT32 formatted usb thing if the disk filesystem is NTFS.

There is now another ntfs driver for ext3 which looks promising.
http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

This Ubuntu Dapper laptop has this in the ability from right at the start. So
far it can read/write to NTFS with out errors.

from /etc/fstab
/dev/sda1       /mnt/windows    ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0
1

There is a driver to read/right ext3 from ntfs.
http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

I usually use this to read Ext3 from ntfs so I can install Windows software I
have downloaded while in Linux session.

Both work, though I only use it read from the other partition, and too cautious
to write back

cheers

Russell