Elver Loho wrote:
I was wondering... How do you guys navigate around in large files?

I avoid large files ... because I avoid doing the amount of work needed to generate one. :-)

I've got a 40-some page screenplay and working with it is a bit of a
pain. It would be great if I could collapse scenes into just the scene
header (int/ext) when not working directly with them. Sort of like
most code editors allow.

This may be clunky, but (assuming you have LyX 1.4.x) you could put each scene in a separate branch. Go to Document->Settings->Branches, type "Scene_1" (or whatever label you wish, but no spaces allowed) into the field labeled "New:", and click Add. Repeat ad nauseum. Then highlight each scene and click (De)activate. (I'm assuming that you want all scenes printed when you display/print/export the document.) You can optionally assign background colors to their boxes. Click OK when done.

Now position the cursor where you want to enter a scene and click Insert->Branch->Scene_1 (or whichever scene label applies). Type the scene in the branch box. If you already have it typed, highlight it and then click Insert->Branch->Scene_1, and the highlighted text will be moved into the branch box.

Branch boxes can be collapsed and expanded by clicking on them. When collapsed, the first few characters are displayed, so it might be helpful if your scenes started with meaningful labels.

/Paul