To all, thanks for your responses. Sorry for the delay in replying.
David Halpern

On 9/3/06, TechTonics <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

David Halpern wrote:
> Hi,
> I have installed Lyx 1.4.2 on my pc running windows xp. During the
> installation process aspell 0.6 was also installed because I didn't have
> it.
> How can I use aspell outside lyx? I cannot find the executable anywhere
on
> my pc but aspell works within lyx. I would like to be able to use aspell
in
> xemacs and also from the command line. How can I do this without
installing
> the stand-alone aspell? If I do install the latter will it conflict with
> the
> one that gets installed by lyx 1.4.2 setup program?
> Any helps in these matters would be greatly appreciated.
>
> David Halpern

http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/Windows/LyX137/lyx-1.3.7_win32_setup_v3.exe

This version of LyX1.3.7 works with new the newer aspell.exe
and the dictionary that matches with it. Older versions of
LyX1.3.7 use the older aspell_install.exe (0.53) and the
dictionary in your language that matches with the older version
of aspell. http://aspell.net/win32/

I think I haven't seen an official standalone release of Aspell .064
and I'm not quite sure what comes with http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Aspell6

Anyway, for other applications, I think you may need the earlier
Aspell 0.53 and its dictionary in your language. No conflict.

http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/LyX137#changelog_18jan06
17 March 2006 Changelog mentioning Aspell

     * Fixed many of the irritating little problems to do with
"lyxrc.defaults", "path_prefix" and the Windows Installer.
     * Update to the latest and greatest version of the Q../Free library.
     * Update to the latest and greatest version of the Aspell spell
checker library. Grab installers for this library from LyX's Aspell on
Windows page.