Florian Kamm wrote:

Compiling the document manually works very well, in my case I do
- pdflatex example.tex
- bibtex example
- pdflatex example.tex
- pdflatex example.tex
and it finishes successfully.

I take that to mean that your class file is not the culprit, and there is nothing off in your .bib file. There have been reports of problems that traced back to a defective entry in a .bib file, but that would not seem to be the case here.

If pdflatex is hanging while scanning the auxiliary file, it could be that the file is terminated incorrectly (so that pdflatex is waiting for more input), or it could be that something has a lock on the file (and pdflatex is waiting to begin reading it).

This might be possible, but how to debug?
In a posting from the texlipse mailing list I read about texify. So I replaced the pdflatex.exe command in LyX with texify.exe plus additional parameters for pdf generation and then I could export my LyX documents to pdf. And there were no errors...

Did the additional parameters cause pdflatex to be run, or was the PDF output generated by a different mechanism (for instance, ps2pdf)?

Do you have labels and cross-references in the document? IIRC, the .aux file is also used for cross-references, not just citations. I'm not sure what one could do with a cross-reference that would cause pdflatex to hang -- missing labels would not cause that -- but perhaps if a label contains a non-latin character it might cause a problem. (I'm groping in a very dark place here.)

No, but the .aux file contains some data about footnotes (in my document class I use the footmisc package) as well as citation data.

Hypothetically, an unreadable character in a footnote could cause problems -- I think I've seen reports that traced back to "foreign" (at least, non-English) characters in footnotes -- but that would not explain why you have no problem running the document manually.

When you run manually, do you do it by exporting a .tex file and then running? If so, have you tried executing View->LaTeX (pdflatex), killing the job when it hangs, then running pdflatex (then bibtex, then pdflatex twice more) against the .tex file in the temp directory? If that hangs where running against an exported copy succeeds, that would suggest that there is something in the copy exported to the temp file (either in the .tex file or in the .bib file) causing the problem. The two exports are not identical: LyX modifies file names and paths in the copy exported to the temp directory.

/Paul