Urijah Kaplan wrote:
Attached is a sample document, with a pdf (dvipdfm)  I made from it. (Save
As..is grayed out in Yap. Why??)

Don't know why, but that's true here too, and not just for your document. I'd never noticed it before, because I've never had a reason to try to save a DVI file from Yap. (The file already exists, else Yap couldn't be displaying it, and AFAIK Yap cannot modify a file.) To save a DVI from LyX, you can just use File->Export->DVI.

Here is the outcome

Right--Single--wrong
Justified--Single
Left--Single--wrong
Center--Single--wrong
Justified--Default
Justified--Double
Right--Double
Right--Custom-3

Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure you're bumping into a LaTeX issue. (Disclaimer: I'm not a TeXpert, so believe the following at your own peril.) The attached revision of your file displays the way I think you intended (other than that the justified/default spaced paragraphs have a somewhat funky spacing of the first line, which I think would be improved if you turned off the option to indent the first line of each paragraph).

What's going on is that each of your verses, as typed into your original document, is actually four paragraphs (one per line). Using default spacing, and with the setting that paragraphs start with an indented line rather than with extra vertical space, this works ok, because when you left-align or justify them each line indents the same amount as its mates (and of course the indentation is irrelevant when you center- or right-align).

When you deviate from default spacing, however, LaTeX automatically inserts some extra vertical space before and after the spacing changes. Since each line is a new paragraph for you, this extra spacing is inserted around each line, hence the distinct deviation from single-spacing in the output.

In the attached version, I merged each verse into a single paragraph by changing paragraph breaks to line breaks (C-enter rather than enter), as signified by the arrows at the ends of the lines. The fourth line of each verse ends with a paragraph break (enter rather than C-enter).

Hope that makes sense.

/Paul