Paul Schwartz wrote:

Sorry to disturb again and coming back so far but when I installed 1.3.7, I used the "uninstaller" program supplied with the former version to uninstall it. Now if I want to uninstall 1.3.7, I still have a uninstall program inside 1.3.7. However in 1.4.1, I just have an icon and nothing else and I am sure that it is far better to uninstall 1.4.1 ahead of installing 1.4.2 or 1.4.3.

Personally, I have 1.4.1, 1.4.2 and 1.4.3 installed in parallel, with no major problems. (They all share configuration info, so preference changes in one apply to all, but to date I have not found any conflicts there.)

Interestingly, I have uninstallers for 1.4.1 and 1.4.3, but not for 1.4.2.

My question is how to unistall it properly (the one supplied with the complete version installer for windows without compiling). May I use the unistaller supplied with 1.3.7 or have you an better suggestion.

The 1.3.7 uninstaller is unlikely to know what to do to uninstall 1.4.1.

Have you checked Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs to make sure that 1.4.1 is not listed there? If it is, you should be able to uninstall it from there.

I just crawled my registry and didn't find anything particularly funky associated with the directory in which I have 1.4.1 installed. So if I wanted to delete 1.4.1 and lacked the installer, here's what I would do: install 1.4.3 first (in a different directory) and make sure it works (!); note down the path to 1.4.1 and then delete its root directory and all subdirectories; then either (a) quit while I'm ahead and live with a little harmless clutter in the registry or (b) run a registry cleaner program that hopefully would delete any keys referring to the now nonexistent 1.4.1 directory or (c) run regedit, search for all references to the deleted directory and manually delete them.

HTH,
Paul