Graeme Handisides wrote:
Hi,
I have previously used Lyx 1.4.1 and 1.4.2. on Win XP. After installing 1.4.3 I
deinstalled 1.4.2.
Under my previous installation the default toolbar had 3 buttons to produce a
dvi preview, refresh the dvi and preview a pdf file. These have now disappeared
and as I used them quite a bit, I would like to know how to get them back. Can
anybody help me on this one. I have looked at the ui files, but it didn't help
much, except to confirm that these buttons no longer seem to exist.

Try the following:

1. Copy stdtoolbars.ui from the Resources\ui folder under the LyX installation directory, and park the copy in C:\Documents and Settings\<your id>\Application Data\LyX1.4.x\ui.

2.  Use a text editor to add the following lines to the copy:

  Separator
  Item "View DVI" "buffer-view dvi"
  Item "Update DVI" "buffer-update dvi"
  Item "View PDF" "buffer-view pdf2"

The last line is set to use pdflatex to generate the PDF views, because that's what I always use. If you want to use a different compilation method, change 'pdf2' to 'pdf', 'pdf3' or whatever the file type is (in the File formats dialog under Preferences) for you preferred route.

You can put them at the end of the standard toolbar (just after Item "insert table" ...) or the extra toolbar (just after Item "Thesaurus" ...), whichever you prefer.

3.  Start LyX and see if you like what you get.

I didn't find an icon for viewing PDF files, so apparently you get a generic "gear" icon.

/Paul