Russell W. Behne wrote:
I just (re)installed Linux (Mandriva 2006) on cleanly formatted partitions, and when I open LyX (ver 1.3.5) I get an error message saying:

        Textclass error
        The document uses a missing TeX class "article".
        LyX will not be able to produce output.

Other documents give the same error, but for a different tex class, depending on whatever one that document is supposed to be using. I also noticed that there's no longer several menu items, things like previewing in PS or PDF, and exporting to anything other than ascii. I have another directory, /usr/local/texmf/tex/latex where I keep style files that I downloaded. (I keep them there to both make them available to all users, and to survive formats and reinstalls of other partitions.) After every reinstall I run this command sequence from a batch file:

        rm -f /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
        cp /usr/local/texmf/texmf.cnf /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
        /usr/bin/mktexlsr

where /usr/local/texmf/texmf.cnf is a custom texmf.cnf that makes LyX recognize these files. (/usr/local is a separate partition, _all_ other partitions were formatted during this reinstall.) (Some files I wanted to keep were copied to another drive prior to doing the format.)

Unfortunately, in addition to the previously mentioned problems, LyX can't find these files anymore, even after I ran the batch file. (This batch file has always worked for me prior to this latest install.)

I'm baffled. What's wrong, and what need I do?

Did you reconfigure LyX after you ran the batch file?

/Paul