[topic shifted from bug to user interface, so I'm starting a new thread]

Helge Hafting schrieb:

>> Btw, some time ago somebody suggested to let lyx create new tabulars
>> without any lines by default. I think that's a great idea. That can't be
>> so difficult to implement, right? Do we need a vote?
>>
> There were much discussion - and simply changing lyx to no-line
> tabulars was turned down for "changing default behaviour".

I tried to search the devel archives (not very easy actually) and found
many people in favor of no lines, and essentially only Lars (lgb) being
cautious.

> The acceptable solution was to add a mechanism that
> lets the user select table styles, and perhaps set a default
> style for new tables.  That way, anyone can start with their
> favourite table - all lines, no lines, one line under the
> heading - or anything else.
>
> This is of course more work, and so nobody has competed it. :-/

Well the result seems to be that nothing is happening. Don't get me
wrong, I have no right to demand any serious development work for free,
but then IMHO less conservatism with respect to the (easily changeable,
I assume) defaults is needed. I mean almost everybody seems to agree
that an all-lines-table as default is not good.

And mind you, it's not just me. Allow me to quote from the style
guidelines of (one of) the leading journals in economics, the American
Economic Review:
"... Do not use any vertical lines in tables to show space distinction;
use only horizontal lines and additional blank space if necessary. ..."

So I would suggest the following change of defaults (maybe also a good
compromise between "no" and "all" lines?): No vertical lines!

Lars, excuse me to bother you, but why exactly do you think that
changing these defaults is bad? Do you know of many users that fiercely
demand their vertical lines?

<irony>As a user, it doesn't help me that "this extremely cool new
feature that solves all this trouble and ends the discussion" is planned
to be implemented for some future release by someone who is yet unknown
but will certainly have lots of time and skills and is just dying to do
it.</irony> See, a solution is available in the short term that is IMHO
so reasonable that it may remain the default for the next couple of years.

Ok, now you're convinced, right?

-sven

p.s.: is there currently maybe any hidden non-gui way to achieve
something similar to having changed defaults?