On Nov 8, 2006, at 7:21 AM, Karl Patschinsky wrote:

I really want to use LyX for writing my dissertation, but the uni has a specific style they require. Is there a simple way to redefine the various
environments? If the only way to change the settings is through the
Character dialog and such tweeking with the layout menu I might as well use a standard word processor because it's going to be just as time consuming.

Not sure exactly what you mean by 'environments', but if you're talking about the chapter or section headings and various other formatting concerns like this. Take a look at the documentation for the 'koma-script' and 'memoir' document classes. There is almost nothing that cannot be changed to suite a specific style.

I ran into this issue myself with my thesis and I'm using the memoir class for personal preference and have modified everything to my liking. A quick google search for 'memoir class documentation' will provide you with a +300 page guide on everything that can be altered to fit your needs.

Stay far far away from Wor$ is my recommendation.

Bob Lounsbury