On Nov 24, 2006, at 3:56 PM, Paul Tremblay wrote:

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:30:02 -0800
Jens Noeckel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

since your path is not one of those listed under "prerequisites" at
http://wiki.lyx.org/Mac/Mac#toc4
my first question would be if you have checked that pdflatex,
ghostscript and imagemagick work properly outside of LyX. How did you

install this TeX (manually or using some installer)? If you're sure
that this is a kosher TeX installation, you could create a symbolic
link as mentioned in the above link.

Okay, I didn't realize I needed ghostview and imagemagic. I am
installing them right now. The version is 1.4.3. My TeX installation is "kosher" in that from the terminal I can type "latex <document>" and get
a PDF document. I installed it with TeXLive, I believe.

path to the preferences - I'm assuming you mean the preferences in
the LyX menu, under "PATH prefix". Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.

To make sure people know which sh script you're talking about, it
would probably be good to send the verbatim output from the Console
or Terminal command line.

I did this in a thread on 2006-11-23. The post is actually from Cynthia
Johnson (whose computer I am trying to install this on). In brief, the
.sh script stated that python was not found, though I have a working
version of python in /usr/local/bin.

Thanks for your response. I wanted to reply right away even before I
downloaded ghostview because the easiest (and perhaps best) way to fix
this problem is to fix the installer problem, if possible.

Paul

Paul,

looks like your python isn't being recognized, even though it evidently exists. Under factory conditions, there is a python in /usr/ bin/python, but you probably installed another one (maybe MacPython). Hopefully this /usr/local/bin/python of yours is functional. Assuming it is, you could try the following command before invoking the LyX Install script:

defaults write ~/.MacOSX/environment PATH $PATH

This will hopefully tell the installer what your shell path settings are, and that you want it to find /usr/local/bin/python as you do in the Terminal.

That way you can (with luck) get the standard installation process to go through before trying LyX.

Regards,
Jens