Hi,

Helge Hafting wrote (Nov 30 2006 13:47):

> And we know that they are _not_ going to print the word file
> as-is in their publication anyway. Word isn't good enough,
> so they always reformat with something else. They merely have
> streamlined the conversion from word to whatever they use.
> Therefore, a "word" file from openoffice is usually good enough.

I wholly agree with Helge. Personally, I use LyX to write my academic
texts (and most of my other text, too) and whenever I had to submit a
text in M$ Word format, I do the following:
1) I export the document in LaTeX.
2) I run the .tex file against bibtex (if needed) and latex in order to
produce necessary output tiles (like .bbl and .aux).
3) I use latex2rtf to convert the file in rtf.
4) I finalise the document with OOo, save in in Word format and submit
it.

Of course, you have reserve some time for these steps, but it is
manageable.

Kind regards,
Kimmo