Hi,

the behavior of math mode in LyX 1.4.3 is different from that for version 1.3.7 when I try to enter a simple formula such as \vec {\alpha}. To produce this LaTeX code in 1.4.3, I have to type "\vec" followed by the space bar, and then I type "\alpha" followed by the space bar. In Lyx 1.3.7, I can type the same formula without pressing the space bar between "\vec" and "\alpha". I am used to this from LyX 1.3.7, so my formulas in LyX 1.4.3 often end up looking like \vec{} \alpha because LyX 1.4 skips out of the \vec box when the next backslash key is pressed. The same happens with boxes for \frac{ } { }, \sqrt{ }, etc.: they all require a space after the keyword in order to insert the subsequent code in their respective boxes.

Obviously, when a backslash is entered, that implies the end of any preceding LaTeX keyword, and in the case of commands that take arguments it would be logical to allow the user to start typing the first argument once the command keyword has been recognized. That's what LyX 1.3.7 used to do.

Maybe someone has an explanation why this new behavior in LyX 1.4.3 exists - if not, I'll probably file a bug report.

Jens