On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 22:23 -0500, shawn fitzgibbons wrote:

> Doing a search online brings-up some obscure means of converting single
>  font files and adding something to the Latex preamble, but there has
>  to be an easier way.

Yes, there is...try to use xelatex engine instead of latex, i.e. you can
edit your document in LyX and then export to latex and run through
xelatex (until LyX provides support for XeTeX).

See http://scripts.sil.org/.

Here -
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&cat_id=FontDownloads

you can find some free OTF fonts, but XeTeX can use TeX fonts too.

I tested on Linux and it works fine, but I do not know how it works on
Win32. Here is the link -
http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/kakuto/win32-ptex/web2c75-e.html

If you're using OTF fonts, all you have to do is to put the following in
the preamble:

\usepackage{fontspec}

\setromanfont{someOTfontnamehere}

;)