On Dec 8, 2006, at 12:23 AM, Hellmut Weber wrote:

Hi Bennet, Hi Jens,
thanks for sharing your workarounds ;-)

I will try them as soon as I can.
I don't have used multiple keyboards so far. Could you give me some clue
(or even an cinfig file to have the possibility to use an alternative
keybord? Hopefully that would work on my PC to.)

Thanks in advance

Hellmut

I have come to rely on the mini-buffer method: mini-buffer, a, tab,
select accent with arrow, enter, letter, enter. Cumbersome, but
better than having ERT every other words  (as when typing French)

After Bennet mentioned that it works for the Dvorak keyboard layout, I
tried several others and found that they work: e.g., if you want
something like the US layout, you might want to switch to the British
layout in the Mac's preferences - with that I have no problems entering
accents and umlauts. The nice thing is that you can tell the Mac
specifically to use British (e.g.) layout only in LyX, and use  your
standard layout  (e.g., US) everywhere else.

Before I became aware of this, I had defined two key map files in LyX, one of which had the accents bound to single key strokes. Then whenever I needed an accent, I switched to that second key map (with a shortcut key, of course), inserted the accented character, and switched back to the primary key map... kind of an ugly hack, so I'm glad Bennett led us
to a different workaround.

Hi Hellmut,

just to clarify: you don't need multiple _physical_ keyboards: all you need is to go to OS X System Preferences > International > Input Menu, and check a second keyboard there. I have checked US, British and German. You can also check Dvorak there (that would be most useful with a second physical keyboard, but if you only use this layout you can relatively easily pop out the keys of a laptop and rearrange them...).

Then I checked "Show in menu bar" so I can see which keyboard layout is currently active. Finally check "Allow different input method for each Application". That's all. Then you make sure you select (in the menu bar) the layout you want to use immediately (I use US layout mostly). When you turn on LyX, you go back to the menu and switch to British. From what I've observed so far, the keyboard choices you make in any given application stick from then on. No additional voodoo needed.

Jens