On Dec 8, 2006, at 7:50 PM, Christian Liesen wrote:

Hi,

I've just got myself a new MacBook Pro, which feautures the Intel Core 2 CPUs. I had a PPC Mac before and transfered all data using the Apple standard feature, i.e. connecting both machines with a firewire cable during setup of the new machine and voila!, everything's there. Both machines had OS X 10.4.8 installed.

Now there's something weird about Lyx. I updated to the version for Intel-Macs, but Lyx has forgot about all the settings. It doesn't find a single viewer, nor a single document class -- they're all marked as "unavailable" in the Document Settings dialogue. It does remember my documents, though.

I'm a little confused about this and don't know what to do. Do I have to reinstall TeX?

Any hints would be highly appreciated.

If you haven't installed TeX on your new computer, you'll need to. As far as I know, Apple's transfer program looks at standard Mac directories only -- such as /Users and /Applications. Since TeX gets installed elsewhere, it gets ignored.

That means you'll probably want to run the LyX installer again on your new machine -- after you've installed TeX on it.

Bennett