OK I installed the latest version (Lyx 1.4.3) but unf i still can't do what
i was originally trying to do, and the reason why i upgraded :-(
That is view the DraftDVI or DVI. When I try to view the DraftDVI i get an
error message:
    File does not exist: <temp dir>/filename.
For some reason, its looking in the temp directory, even though i saved the
file to a different directory. I did File | Export | DraftDVI before that.
It seemed to execute but i have no idea where it might have placed the
generated dvi (it isn't in the directory where the latex is)

If I try View | DVI then I get:
    An error occurred while running python -tt "../Lyx 1.4.3-5/Resources"