After some playing around trying to answer Paul's and Georg's questions, I
came up with these conclusions:

My ghostview prints everything correctly - the eps's by themselves, the lyx
ps and pdf (dvipdfm and pdftex) outputs.

Acrobat Reader (both versions 7.0.9 and 8) fail to print the figures
correctly.

Does Adobe not understand lyx pdf's the way ghostview does?  I don't know
who to blame, Adobe or the lyx conversions of eps to pdf, but I suspect the
latter.

It is a problem since the most wide-spread pdf viewer on windows is Acrobat,
and if I give the document to someone I would like for them to be able to
print it correctly.

How can we be sure?

Miki