John Coppens wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 23:14:45 -0500
> "David L. Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Cool.   It works, except that it is Winkey-` e rather than the other
>> way around.
>
> That depends on if the combinations are defined - in my case both
> work. There's a lot of fun to be had with combinations. Try things
> like Winkey 1 2 to get a 'half' and Winkey + - to get ±...
>
> The composition tables in my distro reside in
> /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/include
>
> eg. compose.latin1
>
> Rgds
> John

Actually, I was looking for something easy for a novice.  In particular,
something that shows the characters graphically so user doesn't need to
know a code.

I found (I did say I was using kde) kcharselect.  I could just paste the
char into lyx from that.

Only problem is that kcharselect is hidden away under 2 layers of menus on
my system, but that seems a good solution.