Gerard Ateshian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wrote a perl script, renumber.pl, for renumbering equations in LyX
> (attached).  It will take existing equation labels and renumber them
> according to the section heading.  For example, in Chapter 1, section
> 4, subsection 2, equations will be labeled 1.4.2.1, 1.4.2.2, etc.
> The script will not create equations labels where there were none.

I don't understand why one would want to do this. Can you give an example?
The reason why you use labels for referencing in LyX and LaTeX is that you
don't want to think in terms of section numbers. I label my equations in
such a way that I can remember the name, e.g. \label{maxwell-curl-diff}.
Then it does not matter at all in what section it is.

Georg