Thanks,

I checked out the link and was unable to get the instructions to work,
since the directions for where to put the sig-alternate.cls file don't
match my directory structure (there is no 'Base' directory where there
should be).

I can't get LyX to see my texlive stuff, if I hack the acmlayout file to
refer to the acmtrans2e class LyX says that the class is "unknown", but
it is listed on the "text info" gui. Ah, I suppose textclass and
documentclass are different things.

Can someone suggest a howto on creating lyX layouts? (what extra choices
are made in these layouts that are not in the document class? Can't they
be auto generated from the document classes on a system?)

At this rate I'll have to use openoffice and the acm word template. :(

Thanks all for your help.
B. Bogart