Hi LyX List,

after another afternoon of fruitless experimenting with both official and
alternate installers to fight several bugs I reported here, I just decided to
downgrade all W2K and XP machines to the official 1.4.3-5 setup (but leaving
all newer-than-installer-version MikTex and ImageMagick packets as is).

As per current state of knowledge, the downgrade was successful on all W2k and
XP machines, leaving a productive environment that installed and works "just as
expected".

I will keep a single machine with a backup'd and absolutely clean XP image
(XPpro, German version, MS registered, only network card plus MS networking
client plus TCP/IP protocol drivers plus about >70 official MS service packs as
were available per today) installed for further trials of upcoming v1.44
Windows version installers. I will report on the outcome, as time permits.

Regards,

  Tom Schlangen