I'm not texpert, but I'd have thought the solution had to involve the
if-next-char-is-star trick that seems to be used in a lot of the classes
to allow a single definition to handle both the starred and non-starred
cases. Maybe Helge would know. Helge seems to be a real wiz with these
things.

rh

Paul Tremblay wrote:
> Is there a way to redefine \chapter? I am using the package \setspace
> to doublesapce my document, but I want chapter and section titles to
> be single spaced. I tried using these two lines:
>
> \let\OldChapter=\chapter
> \renewcommand*{\chapter}[1]{\singlespacing\OldChapter{#1}\doublespacing}
>
> The problem here is that if I use
>
> \chapter*{Title}
>
> The latex uses the "*" as the one and only argument.
>
> For pure latex, I could use:
>
> \newcommand*{\Chapter}[1]{\singlespacing\chapter{#1}\doublespacing}
>
> But then I would have to use ugly ert in LyX.
>
> I have tried almost every possible way to get change the definition of
> \chapter, including altering the primitive \makechaphead command and
> asking on the texhax mailing list, but have had no luck.
>
> By the way, I am using the memoir class, which allows you you alter
> almost
> everything in \chapter, but does not allow you to changed spacing.
>
> Paul

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://bobjweil.com/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto