On Mar 6, 2007, at 8:57 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> There's budget for a human indexer, as long as the indexer is me
> (the author).

Got it.

> So as the human indexer, how do I make this thing an index instead
> of a
> concordance?

A concordance is just a list of words in a document w/ reference to
where they occur. An index is a structured, ordered list of the
concepts and ideas and terminology in a document which allows one to
determine if a desired bit of information is present in a document,
and if so, where to find it.

> My plan is to use the word list program to make sure I don't
> leave out things that shouldn't be left out, not to give every term
> page
> numbers.

Okay.

> How do I make it a real index?

The traditional thing to do is to read the text twice, once to
familiarize yourself w/ it and to make notes on what people might
need / want to look for, the second time, to flag all terms /
concepts as desired (usually using post it notes, or index cards).

You may want to look up tools like the showidx package which will
help you to consider the index as you're working w/ the text.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.