John Pye wrote:
Setting key to 4128,
KeySym is Shift_L
isOK is 1
isMod is 1
isModifier true
sending IMStart with 0 chars to 0x86031c8
sending IMEnd with 1 chars to 0x86031c8, text=
Setting key to 0, ?
KeySym is ?
isOK is 1
isMod is 0
encoding is iso8859-1
Using codec ISO 8859-1
Oof. Can't encode the text !
ISOEncoded returning value 0

At this point, a LyX developer will have to weigh in, I'm afraid. I've been meaning to grab the LyX sources and familiarize myself with the code, but haven't had time yet. (My rather limited time for mucking about with other people's sources is currently taken up with writing Wireshark dissectors...)

The "Can't encode the text" by itself makes me suspicious that the ISO 8859-1 codec isn't recognizing the degree symbol. But the degree symbol is in ISO 8859-1 - it's code point 176.[1]

So my suspicions are on the lines "Setting key to 0, ?" and "KeySym is ?", which might mean that the input decoding process failed to recognize the composed character.

But at this point I think someone will actually have to look at the code to help you, I'm afraid.

Someone mentioned a similar problem in 2004, apparently unresolved.[2]

[1] http://htmlhelp.com/reference/charset/iso160-191.gif
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lyx-users&m=108853821905898&w=2

--
Michael Wojcik