On Wednesday 07 March 2007 09:39, Sara Stymne wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The latex package "chngpage" might be useful.
>
> /Sara
>
> Steve Litt wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >How does one change the margins on one page only? I need the first page
> > (I'm not using a title page -- I'm ERT'ing it) to be an image that goes
> > paper edge to paper edge.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >SteveT

Thanks Sara,

The chngpage package was indeed part ofthe solution.

To summarize the requirements leading up to this, on my Ebook I wanted to have
my book cover be a large .jpg inserted into my LyX file. No problem clashing
with the title enviroments or commands, because I used ERT for the entire
frontmatter. The only thing is, I needed to change the front page (the one
with the book cover .jpg) to accommodate a .jpg almost 8.5x11, and of course
the document's native vertical and horizontal margins are nothing like that.

I tried exclusively using commands from chngpage, but although that
accommodated the graphic, it screwed up the rest of the document, and I found
no way to confine it to an environment or \begingroup{}\endgroup pair. So in
the end, here's what I did...

\enlargethispage{1.85in}~\vskip -1.9in\leftskip -1.8in\hfill\vfill
(graphic goes here)
\vfill\hfill\thispagestyle{empty}
\leftskip 0in\rightskip 0in
(page after cover goes here)

Of the preceding ERT, only \enlargethispage{} comes from the chngpage package.

Be aware that the balance between values of \enlargethispage{}, \vskip,
\leftskip, \rightskip, and the size of the graphic are tricky. I came upon
many situations where the graphic would shoot all the way to one side or the
other (that's why I put in the \hfill commands), and also from the top to the
bottom (I believe the way it works is that the value of \enlargethispage{}
must exactly accommodate the vertical size of the graphic).

If this sounds like a lot of work, keep in mind that in my last book, I had to
use pdftk to put a cover graphic on it, and pdftk screwed up the physical
page numbering.

Once again, thanks Sara, and all the rest of you who have helped me.

SteveT