>>Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:27:25 +0100
>>From: Ekkehart Schlicht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], LyX-Users <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
>>Subject: Re: Lyx 1.4.4. of Sat Feb 17: PDF graphics problem
>>
>>Thanks a lot, Paul. The issue does not relate to previews etc. I have
>>digged myself.
>>
>>The issue relates to the LyX-MikTeX interaction and warrants some
>>changes in LyX, I think.
>>
>>If I embed Fig1.pdf and export to pdflatex, Lyx generates
>>

>>\includegraphics[width=0.8\columnwidth,keepaspectratio]{Fig1}
>>
>>If I compile this, a new file "Fig1.png" is generated. This is the
>>pixeled version which is used for the output.
>>
>>If I change the above line in the pdflatex file to
>>
>>\includegraphics[width=0.8\columnwidth,keepaspectratio]{Fig1.pdf}
>>
>>the output is o.k.
>>
>>Maybe it would be good not to truncate picture names in LyX. (In earlier
>>version there was the issue, for instance, that LyX selected Fig1.eps
>>even if Fig1.pdf was selected in the manuscript. This is a disturbing
>>feature.)

I guess a lot of users use the no-extension facility to compile
both in latex and pdflatex, so forcing the extension again would be
a regression IMHO.

The graphics doc (20/02/2006) states
<cite>
 \DeclareGraphicsExtensions { ext-list }
 This specifies the behaviour of the system when the argument to
 \includegraphics does not have an extension specified.
 Here { ext-list } should be a commaseparated list of file extensions, each
with
 a leading period (.). A file name is produced by appending sep and one
 extension.
 If a file is found, the system acts as if that extension had been specified.
If
 not, the next extension in ext-list is tried.
 Each use of \DeclareGraphicsExtensions overwrites all previous definitions.
 It is not possible to add an extension to an existing list.
 Early versions of this package defined a default argument for this command.
 This has been removed.
 </cite>

The last sentence indicates that you MUST specify yourself the
precedence between graphics formats with recent versions of the graphics
package (TL 2007, MiKTeX 2.5 packagings). So there are two possibilities
 - either lyx leaves precedence control to the user
 - or lyx sets a default precedence similar to what we were used to:
 vector graphics rather than bitmaps, i.e. look for pdf before png before jpg.

In the latter case, the user can still wipe out lyx default setting
if the preamble is insterted after the lyx \DeclareGraphicsExtensions command,
orv with \AtBeginDocument.

--
Jean-Pierre