Paul A. Rubin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Ralph wrote:
> > Hello All:
> >
> > I've been trying to install font package bbding on LyX 1.4.4 running under
> > Windows XP.
> >
> > Here's what I've done:
> >
> > 1) I made sure the package was already installed in MikTex.  It was
already
> > installed, so I didn't have to do anything there.
> >
> > 2) In Documents\Settings I inserted the line \usepackage{bbding} in the
LaTeX
> > preamble, pressed Apply, pressed Save as Documents Defaults and exited the
> > window.
> >
> > 3) Under Tools, I selected Reconfigure.
> >
> > 4) I quit and restarted LyX.
> >
> > 5) I openend a blank document and, in equation mode, I typed x = \Asterisk
> > follwed by a space.  I would have expected to see the bbding asterisk
symbol
> > appear, but it did not.
> >
> > To me, this means that LyX is not seeing the package.
> >
> > I'm new to LyX and cannot find anything in the docs on this topic.  I'd
> > appreciate any help from the group.
> >
> > Mant thanks,
> >
> > Ralph
> >

> First, \Asterisk (and, I believe, all the bbding symbols) are text mode
> symbols.  If you want it in a math inset, you will need to enter
> \textrm{\Asterisk}.
>
> Second, the fonts LyX uses for display in the GUI do not (and probably
> cannot, in terms of practicality) cover glyphs from specialty font
> packages.  So even if you do the above, you won't see the symbol in the
> GUI.  You will see it in the output, though.
>
> If you have instant preview on, you should see the asterisk in the GUI
> after IP converts the math inset.  I just tested this, and for some
> reason I had to save the document, exit, then reopen it.  The preview
> DVI file in the temp directory had the asterisk, but what IP displayed
> in the GUI initially had a space where it should have been.  I'm not
> sure why.
>
> HTH,
> /Paul

Paul:

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I tried exactly what you said and here's what I get on the GUI

x = textrmN

On DVI I get the same thing.

Does this make any sense?

Thanks,

Ralph

PS--Did you have to include \usepackage{bbding} is the preamble?  Or did you
do anything at all?  What I included in the preamble was:

\usepackage[scaled=0.92]{helvet}
\usepackage{mathptmx}
\usepackage{courier}
\usepackage{bbding}