Regarding the figures:

On Apr 12, 2007, at 5:16 PM, Brian Kidd wrote:

sorry about the previous reply, i misunderstood what you wanted to do.

as jens suggested, use the DeclareMathSizes command in the preamble. you'll need four sizes:

\DeclareMathSizes{12}{10}{7}{5}

This assumes that the non-math text is 12pt.
You'll get 10pt for the math-font, 7pt for script fonts and 5pt for script script font sizes.

One visually good thing is to use a 10:7:5 ratio for the mf, sf, ssf so scale appropriately.

-brian