Dan Kaplan wrote:
Dear Lyx Users,

I tried the solution that Helge suggested, but its not working quite right. I need to put a long equation at the bottom of a two column formatted paper. LaTeX normally does not allow two-column-wide floats at the bottom, so I am using the stfloats package to allow that. Then I am using a figure float:

\begin{figure*}[!b]
\begin{equation}
% equation
\end{equation}
\end{figure*}

However, the float ALWAYS appears at the bottom of the NEXT page, even if
there are no other floats on the page where I call that float. Any idea
what's going wrong and how I can get the equation float to go at the bottom
of the page I want it to be on? Thanks!
There is always the work-around solution of simply placing the float on the
will be the correct one. (Unless you wanted it at page 1, which simply
isn't possible.)

This solution may be ok if you have only a few such floats.  It will be
cumbersome if you have many, as any editing may move the page
boundaries.

Helge Hafting