In a recent message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote.

[...]
 Easy: apt-get install lyx
 See man page (man apt-get).

The problem is that if you do this you'll only get Lyx 1.4.4, at present, not Version 1.5. Perhaps that ought to be 'sudo apt-get install lyx', by the way <g>.

Eh... 1.5 hasn't been released yet...
[...]

Yes, sorry, I've been using the 1.5 beta releases on XP. One other problem is (if I remember rightly) that on the Ubuntu side if you use 'apt-get' or the Synaptic Package Manager to install LyX it also installs, without the option, a load of other stuff that you don't necessarily want, like TeTeX. Some people might prefer to work with TeXlive, for example.

This might be heresy, but to be honest I much prefer the way that LyX installs and works under XP.

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton