Sam Lewis wrote:

> I'm interested what are other peoples experience generally in terms of
> Open Type and more specifically with small caps italic. What's
> happening Font wise on the German side for example?

In traditional European typography (before the computer), there are no
italic (or bold) small capitals. If you are a purist typographer, you
should not used italic small caps.

The fact is that with the wordprocessor, it became possible to slant any
letter and slanted small caps and people are getting used of these slanted
small caps but for typographers they are considered an heresy.

In the common teX fonts there are no italic small caps so the only solution
is to use the trick I've mentionned on the list to create slanted (fake
italic) small caps. Another solution would be to buy a font with a small
cap italic variant but I don't think they are many of them.

Cheers,
Charles

--
http://www.kde-france.org