On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 09:41:19PM -0400, Bennett Helm wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2007, at 7:07 PM, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
>
> > Jean Kaplan writes:
> >
> >> I found a solution to reduce (or increase) the size of math previews
> >> on the lyx screen (at least for mac os X 10.4.9, mac ppc):
> >> Go to the menu item "Preferences->Look and feel-> screen fonts",
> >> decrease (or increase) the "Screen DPI" and save this changes the
> >> size of math previews without changing the size of the text. To see
> >> the result you have to quit lyx and start again, the button "apply"
> >> does not seem to work for this item.
> >> A tip to get the math preview size adequate to the text : write a
> >> math formula including an \mbox{ some text }, then proceed by trial
> >> and error.
> >
> > I don't know whether fiddling with "Screen DPI" is the right thing
> > to do.
> > You can control the size of math previews by adding the following
> > line:
> >
> > \preview_scale_factor 0.9
> >
> > to either the user preferences or the global lyxrc.dist file. There is
> > no gui for this, so you have to add that line by using a text editor.
> > Change the 0.9 value (which is the default) to whatever fits you.
>
> To me it looks like \preview_scale_factor 0.65 is about right
> (leaving the screen dpi unmodified). Is the solution, then, to patch
> lyxrc.dist on Mac? Is this the value I should use?

What I was trying to say is that I don't know whether changing
"Screen DPI" simply changes the math preview size and has no other
side effect, whereas \preview_scale_factor for sure works like that.

The right fix would be to know why the screen DPI is changed with
respect to 1.4. However, if you know what is the correct value for
screen DPI, then you could force the right appearance by using the
following lines in lyxrc.dist (replacing the numbers as appropriate):

\screen_dpi 90
\screen_zoom 150
\preview_scale_factor 0.9

In this way you can control both text and math preview sizes.

--
Enrico