I still believe the table is the easier way. I'm attaching an example.
Please, check it.

On 6/5/07, Steve Litt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Monday 04 June 2007 21:48, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Monday 04 June 2007 04:47, you wrote:
> > To put text in equations, I use \mbox
> > Jean

> Thanks Jean,
>
> I tested that and it works, but stuff doesn't line up the way I'd like.
> What I'd really like is an \eqnarray* with 4 columns instead of 3, so I
> could do something like this:
>
> \begin{eqnarray*}
>  2x+y&=&z\qquad\qquad &\mbox{this is the explanation}\\
>  31x+64y&=&71z\qquad\qquad &\mbox{another explanation}\\
> \end{eqnarray*}
>

> That would work perfectly, but I get this error if I put in three &
symbols
> on a line:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: Too many columns in eqnarray environment.
>
> If I remove the & before the equal sign, it compiles, with the equal
signs
> under each other, and the explanations all lined up perfectly, but the
> right sides of the equations don't line up, but instead are centered
under
> each other, which looks confusing to the reader.
>
> I could do it with a separate minipage for all the explations, but that
> would require huge amounts of ERT, I would think. It would completely
> separate the explanations from the equations they explain. Doing it that
> way would be very hard in LyX, be unreadable or confusing in LyX, and
> probably require lots of ERT.
>
> So if anyone knows how to get a four column \eqnarray*, please let me
know.

> SteveT
>
> SteveT

Hi Jean,

\mbox didn't work at all for me, but your \mbox idea inspired me to find
something that while not pretty, is at least not confusing. It's \makebox.
The following aligns left, equal and right, and approximately (though not
exactly) right aligns the explanations:

\begin{eqnarray*}
2x+y&=&z\qquad\qquad \makebox[2in][r]{this is the explanation}\\
31x+64y&=&71z\qquad\qquad \makebox[2in][r]{another explanation and yet }\\
3x+y&=&z\qquad\qquad \makebox[2in][r]{explanation}\\
x&=&z\qquad\qquad \makebox[2in][r]{exp}\\
\end{eqnarray*}

The following approximately centers the explanations, with the
explanation "column" well to the right of the equations:

\begin{eqnarray*}
2x+y&=&z\qquad\qquad \makebox[2in][c]{this is the explanation}\\
31x+64y&=&71z\qquad\qquad \makebox[2in][c]{another explanation and yet }\\
3x+y&=&z\qquad\qquad \makebox[2in][c]{explanation}\\
x&=&z\qquad\qquad \makebox[2in][c]{exp}\\
\end{eqnarray*}

Either of the preceding is doable with a character style for the
explanation,
which points to a command that puts in \qquad\qquad\makebox[2in][c]{#1},
as
suggested by Richard Heck.

This isn't ideal, but I know I can do it, and if worst comes to worst it's
good enough.

Thanks Jean, Richard and everyone!!!

SteveT

Julio Rojas