On Monday 04 June 2007 09:02, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Trevor> * The documentation refers to a means of including "external
> Trevor> material", although the available types of external material
> Trevor> do not appear to include "other LyX files".
>
> This one is to insert image-like objects.
>
> Trevor> Can I use LyX to create a number of separate (sub-)documents
> Trevor> and then also maintain other LyX documents which combine new
> Trevor> material with one or more of these subdocuments, in such a way
> Trevor> that the content needs only to be edited once?
>
> Try Insert>file>Child Document.
>
> JMarc

Yes, there is support if you're working with child documents.  However, I
often have to cross-reference among unrelated documents.  In order to
accomplish that, I have to first export the documents to LaTeX, then process
them to create .aux files and then include in the preamble the xr package and
point to the documents using the \externaldocument command, also in the
preamble.

It would be nice if lyx were able to perform cross-reference among unrelated
documents, so that the user only has to point to the lyx files and all
cross-reference task is automagically performed by lyx.
--
Rudi Gaelzer
Department of Physics